The latest WEA Olympic newsletter available here.by
The earlier you begin planning for retirement, the better prepared you will be. Now is a great time to assess where you are so you can successfully transition into retirement. You might be able to increase your retirement income or even retire sooner than you had planned. WEA Olympic is hosting a Pre-Retirement Seminar for members in October and March. Space is limited, so please sign up via the registration link ASAP to reserve your spot today.
Saturday October 22, 2016 9am —12pm
Saturday March 25, 2017 9am —12pm
The seminar will help you identify your retirement goals, take advantage of your funding sources and account for the effects of taxes and inflation in retirement. Key information will be provided so you are able to make informed decisions about the options available to you as well as address other important decisions you will need to make that will assist you in the planning process.
Key topics include:
- TRS and SRS Plan 2 and Plan 3
- 403(b) and 457(b)
- Social Security
- Retirement Health Care Options (Medicare, PEBB, VEBA)
- Resources (Retirement Income Strategies, Planning Checklists & Contact Numbers, Worksheets)
Workbooks and informational sheets provided
Presented by: Allison Sprott IAR
VALIC Financial Advisors, Inc.
You can register for this seminar online at:
If you have questions, please contact:
Allison Sprott IAR
Are you a teacher in your 1st- 5th year of teaching? Would you like to join a professional development cohort group with other new teachers? Then Survive and Thrive is for you!
“Survive and Thrive” is a professional development cohort for all first through fifth year WEA teacher members.
This cohort will give you the opportunity to:
• get to know other teachers in their 1st-5th years in other school districts across the peninsula
• participate in professional development that meets your needs and that you CHOOSE!
• Have your questions asked in a safe environment
• Earn up to 10 FREE clock hours!
• Pick out FREE classroom supplies
• Hear information about your benefits through NEA/WEA
• Have a free dinner and camaraderie!
The first meeting will take place at:
Cloverleaf Sports Bar & Grill at 1240 Hollis Street in East Bremerton
Wednesday, October 19th from 5 pm- 7:30 pm.
To register, please click here: https://goo.gl/forms/JuqcbsOR4k8XRYv03
Maybe you’ve been considering National Board Certification for years, maybe it has only recently been on the back of your mind, but in any case, now is the time to think about whether this process is for you! You are receiving this email because you attended a presentation including information on National Board Certification.
There is already a core group of local candidates—now might be the time for you to join them! This year, WEA Olympic will be offering support to National Board candidates on the Kitsap and Olympic peninsulas. Cohorts will be offered for both teachers and counselors.
Our WEA Olympic National Board Cohort Kick-Off will be held:
Wednesday, August 24, 5-8 pm
WEA Olympic: 26297 12 Trees Ln NW, Poulsbo
Dinner will be provided and will be available starting at 4:45.
This session is required for all participants in the WEA Olympic cohort this year.
Click here to register: http://goo.gl/forms/MmS0uKEydgCLsiyh1
National Board Certified Teachers receive a $5151 annual stipend for the duration of the certificate (prorated at 60% the first year), and it is also pensionable. National Board Certification is one way to obtain a Professional Certificate, and ProTeach is another way. National Board Certification is a rigorous but doable professional development program which focuses on making a positive impact on student learning. You can earn clock hours for the process.
The National Board process has been revised so it is more affordable and flexible to meet individual candidate situations. Come find out more at our information session: http://goo.gl/forms/MmS0uKEydgCLsiyh1
At this opening session:
- Dr. Jim Meadows, WEA Certification Specialist, will be here to present on updates to the National Board process and the role of the association
- Learn about local, state, and national support available
- Schedule out your National Board work for the year. Which components will you complete? When will cohort sessions be held?
- Meet your facilitators and fellow cohort members
- Study and reflect on the Knowledge of Students standard in your certificate area and discuss ways you can increase your knowledge of students in that critical back to school time
We have four cohorts available. All four cohorts will be meeting together for this first session:
- A greater North Kitsap area cohort for teachers
- A regional cohort for counselors. This cohort will meet in the North Kitsap area.
- A cohort for teachers in Port Townsend, Chimacum, and surrounding areas
- A cohort for teachers in the North Olympic/Port Angeles area.
Register now for one of our WEA Olympic National Board Cohorts: http://goo.gl/forms/MmS0uKEydgCLsiyh1 Do you know anyone else who might be interested in National Board Certification? Forward this email to them.
Our cohort facilitators are NBCTs who have received OSPI facilitator training. All participants at this session will receive three complementary clock hours.
Questions? Please email WEA Olympic UniServ Director Leeann Turano at LTurano@WashingtonEA.org.by
OSPI is conducting regional forum events about the ESSA update!
We need educator voices in the room!
Tues., August 2, 6pm-8pm.– ESD 114, 105 National Ave., Bremerton
The “Every Student Succeeds Act” is the updated federal education law that was signed into law by President Obama in December 2015. OSPI is the lead in creating our state’s implementation plan. It has convened several work groups to guide implementation.
We need you at the forum. Invite your members as well! OSPI is working under fast timelines, and expects to have most of its recommendations completed this fall. These recommendations will affect you and your students, and cover topics such as:
- Student assessment
- Teacher evaluation
- Paraprofessional standards
- School accountability
- Special Education and English Learners issues and more
You can learn more about the work groups and WEA’s positions on these topics on the WEA website.
Ensuring educator voice into ESSA implementation is a prime feature of the new law. O
You may submit comments directly to OSPI on its feedback form.by